Our Nursing Staff will call you the business day prior to your admission to confirm your arrival time, fasting instructions and explain any clinical preparation. If you have not received a call or will be difficult to contact please phone the hospital on (02) 9900 7529 after 4.00pm the business day prior to your admission.
Preparing for day surgery
Shower before you come to the hospital, use minimal make-up and, for comfort following your procedure, wear loose clothing.
Where to go
Report to the Day Surgery Unit on Level 2 of the Hospital.
What to bring
- Original pre-admission forms, unless completed online or previously sent.
- Signed consent form
- Any relevant doctors' letters, scans and x-rays.
- Health insurance fund card, if applicable.
- Medicare card.
- Health benefit card, if applicable.
- Pension health card, if applicable.
What not to bring
Please do not bring cash, jewellery or valuables of any kind. The Mater cannot be responsible for any valuables or missing items.
Your Day Surgery Journey
On your day of surgery, Nursing Staff will complete your admission with you and ensure you are ready for Theatre. You may have one support person with you during this stage. You will then be transferred to the Operating Theatre for your surgery.
After your surgery you will be transferred to the Stage 1 Recovery Area, and our nursing staff will SMS your support person to let them know you have arrived safely in Recovery.
In the interest of your recovery, comfort, privacy and to reduce noise levels, we have restricted access to loved ones and carers in our Recovery areas. (Exceptions - children under 14 or patients with special needs.)
Nursing staff will contact your support person by phone when you are ready to be discharged home from our Stage 2/3 Recovery Areas.
Going home checklist
- Make arrangements for someone to take you home. Patients must not drive, go by taxi alone or catch public transport after an anesthetic.
- Collect your x-rays and scans.
- Collect follow-up information and your post-operative instructions provided by the Hospital.
- Pick up medications from the pharmacy, if ordered by your doctor.
We like receiving feedback from our patients and their carers. You can give us feedback:
- in person - ask for the Nurse Unit Manager, Karen Caswell
- email - email@example.com
- phone 9900 7570
- via our website feedback form
We look forward to caring for you during your visit to the Mater Day Surgery Unit.